This is purely for very new starts with no experience so this is the basics that new staff doing the manual low level tasks needs to know.
Link Related Jargon
• Anchor Text – This is the text that the link displays for example (here Mike Litson is the anchor text)
• Brand Link – A link using the websites URL/Brand or variation of that as the anchor
• Compound Link – A link which contains a mix of Brand and Money terms.
• Money Term – Generic terms which you want to rank for, for example “SEO”
• Social Metrics /Signals – this just means shares, (on FB, Twitter etc) and potentially the value of the sharing account.
• Penguin – This refers to the Google update codenamed penguin. It was an update which related to penalising sites for poor quality links. To define a bad backlink see this post.
• OBL/Outbound links – A link which clicks through to a different website
• Internal Links – Self Explanatory
• No Follow – A link with a no follow tag (this has less value to rankings)
• PR/Page Rank – an outdated metric for measuring site value
• DA/Domain Authority – SEOmoz’s metric for measuring a site’s value – this is better than PR
Content Related Jargon
• Keyword – This is a word or term that you want to rank for, in gambling an example might be “online casino”.
• Keyword Density – The ratio of keywords to non-keywords on a page this needs to be reasonably low so as not to appear spammy.
• Panda – This refers to the Google update penalising sites with poor quality content.
• Thin Content – Content of little value to a user.
• Snippet – The thing you see in the Google search results describing a site.
• Meta data/description – This is data that is used by Google in the description it displays to users
• Title Tags – Again these are used in the snippet
• Rick Snippets – This is the description of snippets including images or other non-text based formats in the SERPs.
• CRO – Conversion Rate Optimisation
• CTRO – Click Through Rate Optimisation – this is the practice of optimising the snippet that appears in Google.
• SERPs – Search Engine Ranking Positions
This is by no means complete, I will add to this, it is simply a starting point.